Sunday, December 04, 2005

Bible in 20th Century Protestantism

As this author pointed out towards the end, I think it is very difficult to define one's own experience and understanding of scripture in terms of black and white. I think that there are those who may see the Bible in more of a moralist or doctrinal perspective, but I also believe that they don't solely experience the Bible in this way alone.

Each individual experiences the Bible in a different way. I think that these individual experiences, however, can be shaped by how they experienced the Bible in church or environment. I grew up in a liberal Methodist church in New England. In my experience, the Bible has always been a tool which helps our understanding of God, through which, we learn how to direct and live our lives. Scripture readings are always a part of our services, however, they were never the central part of the service...at least not for me. I considered my own experience and understanding of Jesus and faith to be a much more integral part to my faith.

After coming to Wheaton and being involved in Christian Fellowship here...the Bible has been stressed much more. Here, it is looked at with more moral authority and plays a more central part in faith. I have gone from my old experience to leading a freshman bible every Monday. Now, I would say my own experience is a hybrid between my two faith environments. Now, I look to the bible more and consider it a bigger part of my faith...yet I still feel that knowing Jesus, through the Bible, but also through my own spiritual connection with Him and my faith experience...is a more valuable part of my faith.

I think that this example is typical of Christian understanding of scripture. It is not all the same wherever you go. I found that my own understanding of the Bible was most similar to that of African-American protestants. I think that depending on what each person finds they need guidance in, that is they primary way they will read the Bible.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home